The QAS is an accreditation scheme for Organisations (or teams or departments within Organisations) that demonstrate a commitment to meeting the QAS Outcomes.
The QAS recognises that actuaries do not work in isolation from the Organisation in which they work. It appreciates the importance of the working environment in enabling Members to fulfil their professional responsibilities, and the importance of appropriate monitoring of the quality system controls at an Organisational level.
The working environment plays a key part in ensuring that actuaries are properly supported in relation to both technical and professional matters, and that they feel able to carry out their work effectively with confidence. The right culture within an Organisation is vital to ensure the quality of actuarial work and to maintain public confidence in both the Organisation and the actuarial profession.
This is reflected in the QAS Outcomes; Professionalism, Development & Training and Organisational Culture.
The objectives of the QAS are as follows:
- to promote professionalism in Organisations that employ actuaries, in relation to their actuarial work
- to encourage actuarial employers to ensure effective support is in place for technical and ethical issues faced by actuaries
- to promote effective quality assurance at an organisational level and thereby, indirectly, the quality of actuarial work
- to promote greater confidence in the work of actuaries
- to provide an important mechanism to proactively identify issues affecting the quality of actuarial work
- to encourage a culture of continuous improvement in the changing working environment.
QAS Members are entitled to participate in the QAS CPD Scheme.
Further information and details about the QAS can be found via the FAQs and in the QAS Handbook. We have also produced specific information for Insurers who may be considering participation in the Scheme.
We would welcome an early approach from any organisation which might be interested in applying for the scheme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have produced short videos which tell you more about the QAS and the application process.