If you have completed an actuarial or maths based degree from a university that we do not have an IFoA examination exemption agreement with (a non-accredited degree course), you can still apply for exemptions from our CS1, CB1 or CB2 examinations.
Applying for IFoA examination exemptions
If you are applying for IFoA examination exemptions for a qualification completed at a non-accredited university, your degree awarding date cannot be older than 5 years from the date of when you submit your examination exemption application.
If you have a degree from an Indian University, we can only accept applications from the Indian Statistical Institute, the Indian Institute of Technology, or the Indian Institute of Management.
Before you apply
Will we ask you to demonstrate that your degree covered the IFoA examination subjects that you wish to apply for examination exemptions form.
As part of the online application process you will be asked to upload the following documents listed below:
- A certified copy of your official full university transcript which should include marks for all modules taken in each academic year of the degree,
- A certified copy of your university degree certificate which is received after graduating,
- A copy of the official mapping syllabus of the IFoA for each examination exemption subject you are applying for, demonstrating where this has been covered in your university syllabus. We can only accept notes on a printout of our official mapping syllabus:
- An official copy of your university syllabus from the time period of your study, and
- Details of the assessment methods for your degree, including exam papers or confirmation of exam duration from your university. This can be included within your module or course handbook.
For students sitting University examinations in 2020 and 2021
If you undertook a University assessment which is a requirement of your program during the COVID-19 pandemic, please note the IFoA will not consider modules or results where the assessment period of that module/exam was over an extended time. For example, if your assessment period for a module or exam was 12-24 hours, the IFoA will not that consider that module for a Route D exemption.
For students with degrees from Universities in India
Applications for exemptions from IFoA exams based on degrees gained from Indian universities will only be considered from students who have graduated from:
- the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI)
- an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), or
- an Indian Institute of Management (IIM)
The IFoA will not grant exemptions based on qualifications from any other universities in India, unless accredited by the IFoA.
Any documents (transcripts, degree certificate, exam papers, syllabus etc) in any other language than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
The person certifying the document must include the following details:
- Full name in CAPITAL letters, position, address and telephone number of the company/firm/practice or employer
- Actuarial Reference Number or membership number (if applicable)
- The date the documentation has been witnessed
- To be written on the documentation: ‘I certify this is a true copy of the original document as seen by me
Evidence of payment
If you are making payment by bank transfer, you will also be asked to upload evidence of payment of the total cost of your exemption fees.
You can find the cost of applying for IFoA examination exemptions listed on our Exam fees and fees for other education services web page.
How to apply
- You can apply for IFoA examination exemptions using our Apply for Exemptions tool in the My account area of the IFoA website. Log in to the IFoA website and click on My Account. In the My Account area, select My Exams and then Apply for Exemptions.
- You will be asked to select the route which you are using to apply for your exemption (Route D). You will then be asked to type in the name of the organisation which awarded your qualification as it appears on your qualification certificate.
- You will be asked to enter your degree title as it appears on your degree transcript. You will then be asked to select the examination exemption you wish to apply for.
- Once you have selected the exemptions you wish to apply for, you will be asked to make a payment. You can pay by card or by bank transfer. If you choose to pay by ban transfer you will be asked to upload evidence of the payment before you can submit you application.
- Once you have made you payment, you will be asked to upload the required documentation listed above (see Before you apply). Once you have uploaded the required documentation you will be asked to agree to the applicant’s declaration. When you have agreed to the applicant’s declaration you will be able to submit your application.
You will receive an email confirming that you application has been received and is being processed.
You can track the progress of your examination exemption application using the Track my Exemption tool in the Exam exemptions area in the My account area of the IFoA website.