Stage 2: Online Professionalism course
The Online Professionalism Course is Stage 2 of the IFoA’s 3-stage mandatory Professional Skills Training.
Frequently asked questions
What’s involved in the course?
The Stage 2 Online Professionalism course uses discussions of case studies to explore concepts of professionalism, awareness of the Actuaries' Code, and business ethics. Participants will have the opportunity to ask any questions in relation to the case studies, or other ethics/professionalism-related topics in a Q & A session.
The course is spread over one week, with two weeks beforehand for you to do the required advance work. It is designed to enable participants to continue their working day whilst on the course.
It is important that you set aside time regularly to:
- follow and contribute to the online debates during the ‘active’ week of the course, observing the deadlines shown in the timetable
- read the case study materials, and comment on these during the two weeks before the course starts
The aim of two weeks advance access to the course is to give you time to familiarise yourself with the course, and to do the preparatory reading and comments. You are then required to make further contributions to the case study discussions during the week of the course.
Who is required to do the Stage 2 Online Professionalism Course?
Students who joined the IFoA on or after 1 July 2020:
- must complete the course before they can become an Associate.
Students who joined the IFoA before 1 July 2020:
- if you are a student member who joined on or after 1 July 2006 you will need to complete the course between the 4th and 6th anniversaries of your admission, or within a year of qualifying as a Fellow; whichever comes first
- if you are required to become an Associate you will need to complete the course, in addition to passing the relevant exams, before you can transfer, unless you have previously completed the old style Stage 2 Professional Skills Course (PSC).
Newly qualified Fellows
- need to complete the course within a year of transferring to Fellow, unless they have previously completed the old style Stage 2 Professional Skills Course (PSC).
Members who have completed the previous style Stage 1 Online Professionalism Awareness Test (OPAT) and are required to complete the new style Stage 2 Online Professionalism Course, will also have the option to do the Stage 1 Professionalism Course, at a point of their choosing should they wish to do so. This is being offered free of charge due to the substantial shift of content from the former Stage 2 PSC to the new Stage 1 Professionalism Course. If this applies to you please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book your free place on the new Stage 1 Professionalism Course.
How do I book the course?
To book your Stage 2 Professionalism Course log in to your online account, follow the link to Book a Professionalism Course and select the Stage 2 option to see available dates.
You must have completed a course, or have a confirmed booking in place, within the required time frame where applicable, as failure to do so will result in you being prevented from booking to sit further exams until such time as you have completed the course.
What is the course fee?
|Stage 2 Online Professionalism Course
A reduced rate fee will be available, for members currently on a reduced rate membership subscription fee, consistent with our pricing structure for other elements of the qualification.
Withdrawal of Accreditation of Professionalism Courses offered by other Actuarial Associations
As notified to affected Actuarial Associations in December 2021, the IFoA will cease to accredit Professional Skills Courses offered by other Actuarial Associations as being equivalent to the IFoA’s Stage 2 Online Professionalism Course as of 31 December 2022.